Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Counts of 8 @ W. Washington Blvd. & Crenshaw Blvd.


Counts of 8
Since moving back to Los Angeles, I've been re-learning tap at the Debbie Allen Dance Academy in Baldwin Hills' Crenshaw Plaza. All of the combinations that we learn are structured around beat counts of 8, further broken down into 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 beats, etc. Choreography in tap usually starts on the 8th beat. My Achilles heel as a tap dancer is that I'm still learning how to count rhythm, the 1-and, 2-and, 3-and, etc. My grandmother exercises her reflexes every morning by clapping her hands, keeping a beat as regular as a metronome. By concentrating on my grandmother's steady beat, I hope my tap dancing will steadily improve.

- Audrey Chan
audreychan.net

Location: NW corner of W. Washington Blvd. and Crenshaw Blvd. in Mid-City, next to Universal Car Seat Cover, Lock & Key
Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009
Time: 3:40-4:00 pm


Look for this mini-mall sign. On the opposite corners: Starbucks, Jack in the Box, and a Mobile gas station.

Inspirational videos after the jump.



The legendary Nicholas Brothers with Cab Calloway in the 1943 film "Stormy Weather" produced by Fred Astaire.


Dancers Baakari Wilder and Chloe Arnold in slo-mo for the Discovery Channel.


Savion Glover, my original tap inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment